Norton tries to blend into the background

It has been sunny and above zero degrees for three days in a row now. And lo, there was great rejoicing in the land. And also in our house. I have actually felt like a functioning human being who is capable of contributing to society this week. It is a nice change of pace to be able to tackle basic tasks of everyday living without wanting to weep and google desperately for images of lovely beaches to fantasize about. This winter was no joke, people, but it is over now. Well, over(ish). There is still a lot of dirty brown snow outside our front door, and there is more snow in the forecast later this week. But now I have hope! It is invigorating.

We currently have an extra dog in our house, because my parents have left for their yearly trip to Hawaii and we are providing a loving temporary home for their pooch Shaka, if you can consider it a loving home where 90% of the time dogs receive treats and headpats and tummy rubs, and the other 10% of the time they receive shrieks about how if they don’t stop barking at nothing they are going to find themselves dropped off at the reception desk of the humane society. The dog-related noise has gone up significantly (I believe I have mentioned before that neither of the dogs are at all barky on their own, but when you put them together they are about 10x as loud as ONE dog) but the good news is that the incessant meowing that Norton started with when Max died has all but disappeared, as Norton is reluctant to draw any attention to himself. So I guess that’s a wash, noise-wise, unless you factor in the cackling that Zach has started doing any time one of us eats something crunchy, but that’s an enjoyable sound, assuming you like the sound of baby laughter, and frankly I don’t want to know if you DON’T like baby laughter, because what kind of monster are you.

Last week on the way home from women’s group at our church, Ellie informed me that Lambie, her stuffed lamb (we are very creative with the names around here — she also has Big Kitty, Little Kitty, Puppy, and Giant Purple Monkey, among others) was very sad, and that maybe a chocolate donut might make him feel better. That is some advanced scheming right there. I almost got her a chocolate donut to reward her creativity but at the last minute I realized it would be a dangerous precedent to set.