So there is a baby. She’s been here almost 3 weeks, in fact, but I’m just getting around to this now because although I have become quite adept at doing a number of things one-handed, typing a blog post one letter at a time wasn’t something I was too eager to accomplish. Even now, the baby is awake on my shoulder, making this a bit more difficult than I had anticipated. She’s awake far more often now than she was for the first week or two, and although she is generally a very happy sort of baby, I’m finding it is requiring a bit of adjustment on my part, because I know what to do with a sleeping baby (snuggle it, obviously, and look admiringly at it, and tell it quietly that it’s the cutest baby ever) but I don’t have the first clue what to do with a baby that is awake. Especially if it is awake at 3:00 in the morning, like this particular baby was last night, when she has thus far been a pretty good sleeper and we had gotten used to a nice quiet night-time routine of uneventful feeding and sleeping. (I have discovered already that parenthood is very much about continually adjusting expectations. I have also discovered that parenthood is not, or at least should not be, about wearing v-neck t-shirts, because that is a sure-fire way to end up with barf in your cleavage.)
Anyway, she arrived at 11:11 on April 28, weighing in at a nice average 7 pounds 3 ounces, and while her arrival was a little difficult and generally pretty unpleasant she has, since then, been a pleasure to be around pretty much 90% of the time (for the other 10%, see above re: 3:00 a.m.) as she is a very easygoing sort of baby in a way that I believe confirms her paternity pretty conclusively (not that there was every any doubt in my mind, but it is still nice nonetheless to see that she has at least one of Mike’s most wonderful character traits). Of course, there’s always someone who sees or hears how nicely she is adjusting to life on the outside, as it were, and feels the need to tell us to not bother enjoying it, because it is just going to get SO MUCH WORSE, which frankly is a phenomenon that we find more than a little bit mystifying, but I guess I will just have to shelve it in my brain with all the OTHER things I don’t understand, like calculus and why people feel the need to put peas in perfectly good soups and/or pot pies.
Before we had her, people told me reassuringly/terrifyingly that in many ways our lives would change dramatically, and in many other ways things would stay remarkably the same. I think that is a pretty accurate assessment of the situation. In a lot of ways, her arrival into our family and our lives has totally rocked my world, and in other ways it kind of feels like she was always meant to be here. I hope she feels that way too.